This light-textured bread is inspired by an organic harvest bread baked at Bio Andreas on Andreasplatz, a lovely square in Basel’s historic district. Whole red grapes are kneaded into the dough just before it is allowed to rise. We’ve replaced the chestnuts with easier-to-find hazelnuts.
2/3 cup hazelnuts
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups warm water (100Â° to 110Â°)
1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 cup coarsely chopped dried mixed fruit
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup seedless red grapes
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sunflower seed kernels
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet. Bake nuts at 350° for 15 minutes, stirring once. Turn nuts out onto a towel. Roll up towel; rub off skins. Chop nuts.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour, warm water, and yeast in a large bowl, and stir well with a whisk. Cover and let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Add the hazelnuts, 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, dried fruit, sugar, 2 tablespoons oil, salt, and egg to yeast mixture, and stir until a soft dough forms (dough will feel tacky). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands. Arrange grapes over dough; gently knead on a lightly floured surface 4 to 5 times or just until grapes are incorporated into dough. Place dough on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Shape into an 8-inch round loaf. Brush dough with 2 teaspoons oil. Sprinkle surface of dough with sunflower kernels, gently pressing kernels into dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Uncover dough. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove loaf from baking sheet; cool on a wire rack.